Monday, January 23, 2012

The Mystery Revealed: What Is My Job?

Anyone that has been keeping up with my blog or Facebook updates knows that I recently started working again. The big question that has been surrounding the news is: What the heck is the job?

It's funny how I've been talking about it and I haven't really described it at all. So if you've been on pins and needles: The time has finally come! If you haven't... well, I'll tell you anyway.

I basically work for a company that deals with doctors (more specifically in the radiology fields) continuing their education wanting to keep up with current technology and practices. What does that mean? I'll break it down for you now.

As some of you may or may not know, certain professions need to keep up to date on information regarding their fields. For example, doctors need to be able to know any new procedures that may take over outdated or dangerous ones. Another example may be new diagnosis or machine information. Either way, there are requirements doctors need to meet for keeping up with all of this information.

When it comes to confirming these doctors have kept up on their knowledge there are different ways to go about it. One of the most well known is in the form of conferences. Groups of people come together at a convention center and listen to their peers talk in front of projections with slides and take notes. It is a simplified example but you get the point. Another possibility for those that didn't or couldn't take the time to go on these conferences includes watching a recording of these conferences and then taking a test and submitting it for review. If they pass then the doctor is awarded a certificate verifying the time has been put in to update their knowledge.

If you're wondering what all this babble has to do with my job, it has everything to do with it. The company I work for coordinates both the conferences, the recordings and all of the materials like workbooks and DVDs. It's a medium sized group with about 25 people all together. Most of the jobs are very specific but a few have some flexibility, like mine.

So, finally, this is what I do. To put it in its basic form I work in the shipping department. What I do there is take in orders that have been placed on the desk and process them. I check the computer to verify all of the information, collect the workbooks and DVDs, box them up and print shipping labels for the boxes. But, like I said before, I flow between there and another department. I also work with the guy that makes the workbooks for the meetings and home studying.

It's an interesting process that basically uses a large printer to make the books by printing the pages and then we bind them using strips with adhesive that are melted on to the spines of the books. It sounds simple, and it is, but is also very affective.

So after all of that reading you know what I do. I'll try to keep it more interesting for the next post. Maybe talk a bit about training for the 15k run in March or even stuff out of my personal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment