Thursday, September 1, 2011

How Did I Get Here?


To continue my story I will tell you about what happened next.

   I took medication the entire time I was on the Diamond. I reacted well to the treatment and near the end of the contract my kidneys were found to be healthy. Due to the type of medication I was taking (Prednisone; a type of steroid for those of you wondering) I could not simply stop taking it. The dose would be lowered gradually over time and it was expected for me to stop taking it within a matter of months. By the time I was supposed to finish with the medicine I would be on the Caribbean Princess.
    The day came and went and I was happy to say the least. It was a good time aboard that Caribbean Princess and I was glad to have one less thing to worry about. Unfortunately, it didn’t last long. A week later I noticed there was a lot of bubbles in my urine again. It had been a long time since I had seen it like that. At first I played it off to not drinking enough water but it happened again the next few times I went to the bathroom. I finally went to the doctor and they confirmed my fears. The symptoms were not as severe as before but my problem was coming back. We caught it early so I was put on small dose of Prednisone and things seemed ok. By the time I went home my dose of medicine was almost done and I was scheduled to go see my doctor again.
   Around this time I was also up for a renewal of my medical certificate for working at sea. The certificate basically states that I am healthy and physically able to work on a ship. I knew that this was probably an issue and talked with the company. They told me to see my doctor first and then have him report back to them.
   When I spoke to my doctor he told me that my problem had in fact returned and that I would need to take a larger dose of medicine again for a few more months. Then, another blood test would determine if my kidneys were healthy again. If so, I would taper off the medication like before and eventually finish over time. I asked the doctor if I was cleared for work and he said that I should be as long as I took my medication.
   When I emailed the company about the situation they replied with a phone number to call. When I dialed the number I was connected to a person in the medical department. They proceeded to tell me in a polite manner that my medical certificate would not be renewed as long as I was taking medication. I was told that if I wanted to return to a ship that I needed to be done with my medication and show no signs of my condition returning. Considering I was supposed to take my medicine for another two months with a possible two to three months of tapering, at the very least, it would be about four to six months before I would be able to return. This was one of those times where things just didn’t seem real. I thanked them for their time and the phone call was over.
   This was at the end of May. I am still in good standings with the cruise company but technically speaking I am “unfit for sea”. It’s sort of like a leave of absence in a way. I have no negative feelings towards the people I talked to and was actually treated very well by the staff at corporate. It was just a situation out of my control. I honestly enjoyed my time working on cruise ships and would consider going back if I could but life has pushed me away and I’m thinking it’s for a reason.
   
   Since then I have been doing a bit freelance photography work. I don’t have a lot of gear but I’ve been making things work. I’ve been trying to find a steady gig but I was in denial about not having a job. Now I’m trying to be more proactive. I’ve been slowly updating my portfolio and trying to figure things out. It’s not going to be easy but I think it’s just a matter of time and effort before I bounce back.

   As for my health, my kidneys are officially healthy again and I am now tapering off medication. I am in the process of running again and also trying to eat better overall.

   I know this was a lot to read but if you made it all the way you now know me a little better. I’d like to mention that I’m still positive about things and that I look forward to what is ahead for me. I’d also like to say that my family and friends were a big part of my getting through all of this and even though I didn’t mention much of that they should know I appreciate them being there for me.

   And that I will end this post regarding the subject. Take Care

No comments:

Post a Comment